Monday, January 17, 2011

Drying Herbs Can Be Frugal and Easy

This summer I watched an old Martha Stewart episode. She was drying herbs with the greatest of ease. I was floored with how easy it really is. I mean she has a knack for making anything look easy but this really is easy!


You can use herbs from the store or your own homegrown herbs.


Rinse all of your herbs and pat dry with a towel. Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and preheat oven to 200 degrees.


Place the baking sheet in the oven until herbs are dry and crumbly to touch. I left these in about 40 minutes. You will have to adjust this according to your herbs/baking sheet etc.


Did I mention that rosemary is one of my favorite smells? Yes, I love the smell of rosemary baking!


When it is thoroughly dry, start to crumble the leaves with your fingers. The herbs will literally fall apart at your touch.


Crunch the leaves into a pile and throw away the stems.


Store your newly dried herbs in an airtight container. I keep mine in repurposed baby food jars.


I love rosemary on my eggs in the morning.


So easy and rewarding!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I LOVE this idea! Thanks, Allison!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...